Remains of the Onshi Fukushima Misaki Dayuu Residence
Location: Yokaichiba Town, Ise City
Onshi Fukushima Misaki Dayuu Residence was an Onshitei (priest residence) located in Yokaichiba in the Edo period. Onshi, who served as Shinto priests, would distribute ofuda (protective amulets) throughout Japan and aid pilgrims with worshiping and lodging. As the Fukushima Family had inherited the job of Misakimonoimi at Tsuchi-no-Miya in Geku (the Outer Shrine) they were called Fukushima Misaki Dayuu. They had a total of 185,172 parishioners (according to a survey in 1777), and the family’s economic prosperity can be inferred from the magnificent Yakui-mon Gate and grand buildings lining their spacious residential lot.
This was one of the structures that most represented Ise culture during the Edo period.
While mansion no longer exists today, Yakui-mon gate (tangible cultural property of Ise City), built in 1780, is used as the gate into the Jinguu Bunko, shrine library, and it reminds us of the atmosphere of that time.
Onshi Fukushima Misaki Dayuu Residence, from Ujiyamadashi-shi (the History of Uji-Yamada City)
August 2018 Ise City Board of Education