Remains of the Yamada (Yoda) Magistrate office
Location: Misonocho Ohayashi, Kamijo, Ise City, Overview of the Magistrate Office
The Tokugawa Shogunate opened a magistrate office in Aritakimura in 1603 and appointed Nagano Kuranojo as the first Yamada (Yoda) Magistrate. The magistrate office was moved here in 1635, and it remained here until the Tokugawa Shogunate fell in 1868.
The office was in charge of guarding the Ise Jingu, administering construction when installing new shrines, governing the Ise-Shima district, overseeing political operations and judicial affairs, and maintaining maritime safety in the area around Toba Port.
The magistrate’s spacious mansion covered an area of 46,180m2 and measured approximately 200m from east to west and 230m from north to south. The office premises, which were surrounded by a moat, covered an area of 6387m2 and measured approximately 73m from east to west and 87m from north to south. A 2238m2 building was also located within this space (1802).
This memorial house stands in what was the north-eastern section of the premises, and its main elements were restored in accordance with the floor plans of the Yamada (Yoda) Magistrate Office Building (1846).
Ise City Board of Education