Remains of the Watarai Prefectural office
Location: 2 Iwabuchi, Ise City
In 1867, the Edo shogunate restored the reins of government to the emperor. In July the following year, Watarai Prefecture was established and Hashimoto Saneyana was appointed as Prefectural Governor. He took office at the former Yamada (Yoda) Magistrate Office in Ohayashimura. At the same time, the municipalities known as the Uji Kaigo (Assembly) and the Yamada (Yoda) Sanpo Kaigo (Assembly) were disbanded.
In August of 1869, the prefecture changed its name from Watarai-fu to Watarai-ken. In June the following year, the Prefectural Office Building was transferred from the Yamada (Yoda) Sanpo Kaigo (Assembly) Hall in Ichinokicho to a newly constructed government office building in Minocho (currently 2 Iwabuchi). The new site covered approximately 33,000m2.
The newly-renamed Watarai-ken was instituted in November of 1871, and the nine districts of Ichishi, Iitaka, Iino, Taki, Watarai, Toshi, Ago, Minamimuro and Kitamuro fell under its jurisdiction. Together with Anotsu Prefecture to the north, it divided present-day Mie Prefecture in two.
In April of 1876, it was decided that Watarai Prefecture would merge with Mie Prefecture (formerly named Anotsu Prefecture), and the history of Watarai Prefecture came to a close.
March 2012 Ise City Board of Education