Location: 2 Tokiwa, Ise City
Overview of the Bridge
The Ise Honkaido (Road), a pilgrimage road from the Kansai region that runs through Ouka and Kawabata, and the Ise Kaido (Road), a pilgrimage road from the Kanto and Chubu regions that runs through Tsu and Obata, converged together at Sujikai Bridge. From here, the road led straight into the city.
Its name comes from the fact that the original route and bridge boards were built in the sujikai style (diagonal bracing). Long ago the bridge was arched, but it was rebuilt as a flat bridge in 1915. Then, in 1928, it was rebuilt again in concrete.
Since ancient times, local donations have covered the costs whenever the bridge was reconstructed. In 1849, ornamental Giboshi (bridge post caps) were installed, upon which the names of fourteen of the most prominent donators were carved.
The city’s original starting milestone is also located near the bridge.
In addition, Sujukaibashi Station, which had existed since Japan Railways (formerly Japanese National Railway) opened the route in 1897, changed its name to Yamada-Kamiguchi Station in 1917.
Ise City Board of Education